Flags For Countries That Don't Exist But Bodies That Do - Rene Matić
Flags for countries that don’t exist but bodies that do is a love letter – written in images – bringing together a carefully selected series of photographs taken by Rene Matić (b. 1997, Peterborough) between 2018 and 2021. Although the photos were taken across England, theirs is not a love letter to this country or any other.
As Hannah Black notes in her introduction to the collection, Matić’s rendering of London, and England more broadly, is anti-symbolic, “all drab brick and interior.” Photographs of flag-laden council estates and political graffiti sit amongst portraits of the artist’s friends and family, each centring the cultural signifiers that fill everyday life. Through the photo-series, Matić presents a complicated relationship to British-ness, a relationship full of anger and resentment but complicated by love.
- 240 x 170 mm
- 224 pages
- Published: 2021
- Publisher: Arcadia Missa Publications
- Introduction by Hannah Black
- ISBN: 9781838284022
- Free shipping on orders over £150.
- We ship to most countries around the world.
- All orders are tracked and signed-for.
- International taxes & duties can be prepaid at checkout.
- Final shipping rates confirmed at checkout.
- For more information visit our Delivery & Returns page.